Monday, March 31, 2008

Love those buttons

I saw on Abbie’s blog that Analise at Sugar*Sugar hosted a button challenge, asking bloggers to post photos of their buttons. I love my button collection, but after looking at some of the ones posted, my little guys look rather ordinary in comparison.

Nevertheless, and despite missing the challenge, this afternoon I spent time that should have been spent working taking pictures of buttons. (This is not the first time I've done this, as shown by two of these bookmarks.) The sun was actually out today (I’m still in shock) so I was determined to do it outside, even though it was very windy and I ended up with shadows of my blowing hair in half the pictures. Some of my buttons blew right off the table and rolled off the deck. I’m sure my neighbors were wondering what the heck I was doing later, peering around the carport looking for lost buttons.

So here they are, or at least here are the photos that don’t have hair shadows in them. Some of these buttons have lived in my button box for years.
Some were recently bought on a whim, with no particular project in mind.
After all the gloomy weather, I was happy to sort out the red ones
and the blue ones.
My collection includes buttons big and small,
buttons colorful and plain,
and buttons of many shapes.

I don’t know much about their vintageness. Some were inherited from my great aunt and my grandmother and some were bought at thrift stores. Many are left over from completed projects and others were bought for projects that never quite got completed. Some were found on the street and others came as spares with shirts and sweaters or were cut off worn out clothing. Most of them are either fairly plain in style or were meant for kids’ clothes.

Compared to some, my collection of buttons is more utilitarian than fancy, but I like it anyway. It reminds me of past projects, of things I’ve made for my children, and of people I care about.

5 comments:

Mallu said...

Last Sunday we visited my parents. Our 11-year-old daughter was bored and complained to me that she had nothing to do. My mother brought her button collection to her, and the boredom was gone! My daughter spent a long time happily sorting out different kinds of buttons, just like I used to do when I was a child.
My mother's collection mainly consists of plain, ordinary buttons which have been cut off worn out clothes (of my grandparents etc.). But anyway, they are a lot of fun! And, of course, I couldn't keep my hands off them this time either!

Abbie said...

Hi Susan!
I think your buttons are fabulous! :) I love the shapes and the little airplanes! My children love to drag out the button boxes and sort, suffle and organize.
If you would like to be a 'button floozy' I just need your email address. That will give you access to the blog to make posts. (I think.. I'm new at this group thing, so I'm learning as I go!)
I think it's going to be lots of fun and a great place to meet others!
Have a fabulous day!
:) Abbie

Margerie said...

I know a button junkie when I see one :) Love all the shapes and colors.

Now I feel bad, my button jar is one big mixed batch from Michael's, bought for $4.99. So sentimental value......

But I do have a pretty cool bead collection!

Glad you are getting some sun and you are a great photographer!

The Apron Queen said...

I'm incredibly jealous. How cute!

By the way, any of your blog entries would be absolutely perfect to share for Vintage Thingies Thursdays over at my place. I'd love to have you participate.

Come on by! Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Wonderful button post...love that you took them out into the sunshine. Just one more little thing in this world to make us smile. Thank you. Susan