Monday, March 9, 2009

Unexpected

We've had a few snow flurries over the past few days, and yesterday a couple of inches of snow fell very quickly, over the course of an hour or so. And more fell overnight.

In parts of our neighborhood, we've had snow on the ground continuously since December. This is not the norm here--I don't know if it's ever happened before--and I, for one, was not happy to see several inches of snow on our deck rail this morning.

But, trying to make the best of it, I eschewed an umbrella in favor of my camera for the walk to school and took pictures on the way home--over 100 of them--until my fingers were numb and my hair was full of ice crystals. One thing I like about taking pictures on snowy days is how colors that you might not notice on a sunny day stand out more, like the green moss on this tree:

The playground was empty this morning, but the park will probably be full of sledders after school.

When I got home, I took some more photos.

I was given some tulips last week. Because I live with a plant-eating monster, any flowers I get are put outside the kitchen window, where I can see them but they are safe from being ripped apart. Today the tulips stood out against their background of huge, snowy trees.

This is my garlic, busy growing despite the weather:

This rope swing hangs in the clearing in our forest:

And this ball, which belonged to my mother-in-law, hangs in our kitchen window.

Finally, like me, a little bird on a set of outdoor shelves waits for the flowers of spring.

1 comment:

Hayley Townley, Breast Cancer Survivor Extraordinaire said...

Love, love, love the photos of the flowers in the snow.It reminds me of growing up in Colorado, and the promise of spring. Your photos are amazing, as are you! LUMI!